Although the education system in Costa Rica is free, it is understaffed and lacking in resources. With your help, the children can receive more one-on-one attention that will drastically enhance their educational development.
Intern tasks include:
- Planning and delivering lessons
- Organising arts & crafts workshops
- Designing and delivering after-school activities
- Organising after-school sports events and environmental lessons
- Mentoring and coaching the future leaders of the community
- Designing your own project that will continually help the volunteers and the community learn and grow
The ultimate goal of this programme is to establish a more efficient and stimulating learning environment for the local children.
*During school holidays, you may have the opportunity to organize alternative activities such as summer programs with educational games, arts and sports for the local children, or organizing the resources and doing community/restoration work such as painting or construction work.
How this project makes a difference:
In partnership with the local community in Quepos, Costa Rica, this programme was established to help reduce teacher to student ratios and help provide additional support to keep students engaged.
You will help provide assistance to the community through after-school programmes, sports, arts, English classes and more.
Throughout the course of your internship training and work placement phase, you will receive; hands-on professional experience; weekly reviews and final evaluation from a dedicated staff mentor; and, a confidential professional reference.
Quepos' short, mid, and long-term objectives
All of our programs have short, mid and long-term objectives that fit with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. This enables us to report on our collaborative impact across the world in a streamlined manner, measuring which UN SDGs we are making a substantial contribution to. Furthermore, this will help our local partners and communities measure and visualize their contribution to the UN SDGs.
Upon arrival to base, you will be educated about the history of the UN SDGs. You will learn about the specific goals of your location, the long-, mid- and short-term objectives, and also clarification of how your personal, shorter-term involvement contributes to these goals on a global level.
Our aim is to educate you on local and global issues, so that you continue to act as active global citizens after your program, helping to fulfil our mission of building a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference.
Learn about the long-term objectives you will be contributing to in Quepos:
1. Improve access to education and wellness to El Cocal community
2, Increase environmental awareness in the local community
3. Improve English literacy levels in Quepos community and surrounded areas
4. Ensure that GVI Quepos base provides volunteers and interns unique, safe, responsible travel experiences, exceptional training and career development opportunities, and facilitate the ability to make a real difference