As tourism has developed in the area, many local communities have lost natural resources, altering their way of life and causing many traditions to be lost.
GVI works directly with communities in Thailand in order to; provide free English lessons to the community; train local teachers; assist in the development of sustainable local business; and, develop lesson plans to highlight important issues in the wider community.
Our overall goal is to support local communities to develop with tourism that blends into their lifestyle.
How this project makes a difference:
For local people in Thailand, English skills open doors for future educational and professional opportunities. Children starting at a young age will learn the language quicker that will prepare them well for their future.
By putting skills and knowledge into the hands of the local community, we are able to provide the tools to improve their own lives, livelihoods and future opportunities.
GVI works with local partner organisations to meet the growing need for English language education. Work placements take place at schools or community centres throughout the Phang Nga Province.
*During school holidays and national holidays and festivals participants may take part in other activities such as joining in village/local festivities and activities, running holiday camps for students, educational workshops in the community, or English class for adults. There may be opportunity to assist with work related to other project focuses.
Phang Nga short, mid, and long-term objectives
All of our programs have short, mid and long-term objectives that fit with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. This enables us to report on our collaborative impact across the world in a streamlined manner, measuring which UN SDGs we are making a substantial contribution to. Furthermore, this will help our local partners and communities measure and visualize their contribution to the UN SDGs.
Upon arrival to base, you will be educated about the history of the UN SDGs. You will learn about the specific goals of your location, the long-, mid- and short-term objectives, and also clarification of how your personal, shorter-term involvement contributes to these goals on a global level.
Our aim is to educate you on local and global issues, so that you continue to act as active global citizens after your program, helping to fulfil our mission of building a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference.
Learn about the long-term objectives you will be contributing to in Phang Nga:
1. To provide equal, quality education to children of all backgrounds.
2. To Promote Good Health and Wellbeing through education to all children
3. Increase skills for local people to assist with equal employment opportunities in our communities within Takuapa and Ban Nham Khem
4. Increase awareness of local populations to environmental issues and facilitate change towards sustainability through scientific studies.
5. Increase our in-country capacity by providing environmental and conservation education and training
6. To assist and develop local coastal conservation efforts through providing practical support to project partners, data collection, awareness raising and habitat restoration