GVI Sustainable Development Fellowships
GVI is an award-winning experiential education organization formed in 1998, which operates sustainable development programs in 13 countries located on five continents. We work in collaboration with widely respected organizations and educational partners to operate in excess of one hundred sustainable development initiatives. Each project has clearly defined objectives, and their collaborative impacts are tracked against the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Each GVI Sustainable Development Fellow will be focused upon one site, although they may be requested to provide advice on, or to visit, additional sites.
Please note that applications are now closed. Be sure to check back next year to apply.
About The GVI Sustainable Development Fellowships
We will be selecting up to 18 GVI Sustainable Development Fellowships for the duration of two calendar years in the following areas:
- Community development
- Education (K-12 and Adult)
- Environmental science
- Gender equality
- Marine science
- Public health
- Social and micro-enterprise
- Urban agriculture
Requirements for Fellows
- Must currently be affiliated with a Research 1 institution or Top100 ranked global university:
- Times Higher Education
- Shanghai Ranking’s Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)
- QS World University Rankings
- Must be a PhD or hold an equivalent degree
- Must be fluent in the English language
- Have a proven:
- Collaborative approach to research and paper writing
- Passion for field research and data analysis
- Commitment to community development and / or conservation
- Respect of other cultures and people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work effectively in basic and challenging conditions
- Ability to inspire students to engage in research and / or careers
- Residential visit to one project site, each year of the Fellowship, for a minimum of one week within 6 months of commencement of the Fellowship.
- Authoring at least one collaborative scientific publication per year in an international peer-reviewed journal in the relevant field.
- Supporting field staff to design, implement and publish additional peer-reviewed studies as a named advising partner to GVI.
- Promoting your fellowship through
(i) writing a guest blog series per year about your fellowship (four per year, related to employability, collaborative impact, support or UN Sustainable Development Goals), and
(ii) giving at least one presentation per year to students or peers, related to the projects
- Producing a written report each year for GVI (related to site visit experience, research or UN Sustainable Development Goals).
- Developing a list of resources related to the Fellows research interests and location.
Value of The Fellowship
The value of the GVI Sustainable Development Fellowship will range from US$1,000-5,000 to include:
- Access to selected collaborative data sets, for review, analysis, and co-authored publications, covering a range of subjects from environmental research to community development, from 10 different countries around the world.
- 1 economy class international return flight per year to the location (if required)
- Airport transfer
- In-country transport
- Food and accommodation on site
- Joint author / editor rights on all papers collaboratively developed
- Scholarships for students from the Fellow’s home institution may also be available depending upon the nature of the Fellow’s work.