GVI teaching English at Wat Pha-O
GVI Laos has just completed their first 2 weeks of teaching English at Wat Pha-O, a large and important temple about 20 minutes north of Luang Prabang. This temple is the home to over 270 Novices. It is also the temple where a yearly meditation retreat occurs for hundreds of Monks and Novices.
The Abbot of Wat Pha-O, Satu On Geo, is one of the head Monks in Luang Prabang and is responsible for the secondary education of Novices and Monks in Luang Prabang. In connection with the Buddhist Heritage Project a new school has been built at the temple where the Novices from Wat Pha-O and surrounding temples will attend to receive their first 4 years of secondary education.
It is a privilege and honour to be asked to be responsible for the delivery of the English Program. GVI volunteers and staff teach for 2 hours, 5 days/week. All of the 270 Novices from Wat Pha-O attend the classes.
To find out more about the Buddhist Heritage Project have a look at their site on:
- Joe, an intern in @GVILimpopoKZN checking camera traps in Zimanga as part of the leopard census. t.co/ofMbEKsotA
- Some volunteers and children in @GVIQuepos making some beautiful pictures for earth education! t.co/2JVhMHYqOv
- Natalia, a volunteer in @GVINepal helps one of the local girls get ready for school! t.co/ajGTGbuh0B
- Jackson, a volunteer in @GVIShimoni awards Eugene with a certificate of completion for training in computer basics! t.co/msX4KGQ00F
- New volunteers in @gvi_mexico having their first lunch with a member of staff! t.co/q2WnTqtjbV